OCONTO FALLS FIRE DEPARTMENT HISTORY

The Oconto Falls Fire Department was formed in 1900 with 20 volunteers.  The initial method of firefighting was crude, using what is called the "Bucket Brigade."  In the 1930's, a pumper truck was purchased, holding 500 gallons of water.  This truck was housed in a garage on North Main Street.  In 1938, the department had 4 fires.

Moving to the city hall building on Central Avenue, the department grew to three trucks.  In 1986, a new fire station was built on Cherry Avenue with a fleet of two engine pumpers, one ladder truck, two water tenders, one brush truck, and a water search and rescue trailer.

From the 4 fire calls in 1938 to the 30-35 calls in the 1950's, the department has reached 61 calls in 2007.  Today this department serves the City and Town of Oconto Falls along with part of the Town of Stiles, serving approximately 4,700 residents. 

The department today consists of 30 trained volunteers with a chief, assistant chief, 2 captains, and 2 safety officers.  This department has come a long way in 108 years; from the "Bucket Bridgade" to the great equipment in the station today.  From phone calls that rang twice as fast as normal calls, to today's portable radios and pagers.

We would like to take the opportunity to thank all of our volunteers of the department for their dedication to protect their friends and neighbors with this essential public service.

Home Calls To Date

0

Related Links
Current Roster
Responsibilities
News
History Last Updated on 1/1/2012
Apparatus
Training Events Equipment Testing:

Monday Nights - 5 pm

Friends of OFFD
E-mail OFFD here
Pictures
Current Openings:

None at this time

Department Meeting:

1st Thurs. of the Month - 7 pm

New Apparatus:

2200 gallon water tender
coming soon

Department Training:

3rd Thurs. of the Month - 6:30pm